Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Games: Hacked my PSP

I had written before about using a not so permanent hack on the PSP to allow for homebrew gaming. Well, considering that my PSP has been collecting dust since I bought Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (which was definitely a worth while game, probably the only one for the PSP), which upgraded my firmware to a not so homebrew friendly version, I decided to make the hack more permanent to make the dang thing useful again.

I will give you fair warning. If you value your PSP, are or are not technical, do not attempt this. You run a serious chance of ruining your PSP, that is you can make it a 200 dollar paperweight. I am not an expert on the PSP, so if you ruin it, don't ask me how to fix it.

I wont provide a step by step tutorial on how to do this since the below links do a fine job at describing the task at hand. A few things are required before you can attempt this. You will need:

1. A Sony PSP

2. A older copy of Grand Theft Auto, Liberty City Stories

3. A USB connection

4. A whole lot of guts.

Follow the directions on this page to get to firmware version 1.5.

Next, follow download and follow the direction in the readme to update to 3.03 OE-C.

While its still not as cool as my Nintendo DS, it is nice to be able to play Chess on the go, and export my games to PGN and download to my PC with no effort. If I get really bored, I can always try my hand at writing some apps for it. It’s a shame really, homebrew makes the PSP actually an interesting device, yet Sony is so hostile towards the homebrew community.

No comments: