Thursday, July 20, 2006

Linux: Easy Ubuntu

Sometimes you come across something that just really puts the icing on the cake. In this case, it was Easy Ubuntu. I lamented the decision to reformat my desktop system and put Ubuntu on there since I had a nice Debian install configured and ready for me. The hardest part was giving up the nice Nvidia drivers I had already installed. Having to through reconfiguring and reinstalling Kernel modules for this wasn't something I was looking forward to. But I did because I liked Ubuntu so much on my laptop that this seemed the best way to go. Then, as if a light shined down from the computer gods, I was clued in to the existence of Easy Ubuntu. Apparently I am not the only one who wants things like proprietary codecs, DVD playing, and Nvidia/ATI video drivers under Linux. Whats even greater, its only a few button clicks and your up with all the goodies. I opted to install the Nvidia drivers, fonts, Macromedia Flash, DVD playing, and other video codecs. In a few minutes it had it installed. No fuss. While I understand the rationale for not having these things in the Ubuntu base distribution, it would be nice if these things were already included. But oh well, no funky configurations or anything, all manageable and update able from Synaptic from here on out.

Update: err everything above is true, except for the Nvidia drivers install. The drivers from Easy Ubuntu b0rked the X configuration. I had to remove these manually and get the latest drivers from Nvidias website and compile them. Oh well, so much for a perfect plan.

No comments: